2.2.08

Finished! Twinkle Dress




I like it. I like it a lot.
This was really fun to knit. I had never done dropped stitches before and I think the effect is lovely. I also had never grafted, which was surprisingly easy thanks to this great tutorial.
But. I'm still considering redoing it, and this is where I need your help.
I'm thinking of redoing the cabled skirt part to be looser--so it fits when it's worn the way it looks when it's on the hanger.



I do like it the way it is and I'm a little afraid that making it loose will be like wearing a big fluffy sack.

Should I redo it?

I think what I'm envisioning now is closer to the runway version, which another blog talked about. Initially I had decided to incorporate just a couple of elements from the runway version: to add more ribbing to make an almost empire waist instead of having all that cable business across my chest--which i think would've looked horrendous on me. So I added 10 rows of ribbing before joining the sleeves. I also added about 4 inches of length to the whole thing b/c I wanted it to hit right above the knees.



A couple of other notes:
the pattern says to cast on more stitches for the medium version than the small.
Obviously a typo, right? So I went with the smaller number of stitches.
It's not a typo.
It makes for the right multiple of stitches when setting up the cables. Oops. It was easily fixable with mods that are not noticeable at all--I just casted off combinations of 3 and 4 stitches for the dropped stitch spaces instead of all them being 4 stitches wide.

I also knit the sleeves in the round even though the pattern says explicitly not to join. The piece never blew up or anything so I think it's ok. And yay for no bulky seaming.

Overall, I have to say that I really like it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color. It's just gorgeous. The raglan sleeves make me look a little like a linebacker, but I'm really happy with the bust ribbing--I actually think it may be a little flattering!
I still think it makes me look like 20 pounds heavier than I am, but at least for this one it's mostly in the shoulders. I can live with that.

2/4: I forgot to add some useful information, so thanks to RunningKnitter's comments:
I used the famous Twinkle Soft Chunky in Sapphire, which is my favorite color I've used so far. I think it took me 3 or 4 days...I think 4 total with one of those days for the sleeves. Either way it knits up incredible fast. For me it's one of those things with Twinkle where right from when you cast on you can see that you're almost done--so it's hard to stop. I could just be crazy though!

2 comments:

E said...

I like it just the way it is - I don't think you should re-do it. How long did it take you, and what yarn did you use?

Unknown said...

Hello! I am Inés from Abuelita Yarns Company. I loved your dress!! The color was stunning and the idea was great!
We are a uruguaian brand which sells yarns. If you want to know more about us please enter www.abuelitayarns.com or if you wish to see our articles and pictures enter www.abuelitayarns.com/blog/
Good luck! :D