29.2.08

Buona Sera

This was my favorite thing to hear in Italy...the sing-songy and warm way in which it was said was so lovely to hear.
So I'm back from my trip to Delhi, Rome and Venice.
I was in Delhi for my cousin's wedding, which as I predicted was absolutely exhausting. From a combination of the jetlag, the traveling from the bride's city to my cousin's home city twice, and all of the many long ceremonies, I must have gotten 10 hours of sleep the entire week. No joke.

My cousin and his lovely wife:

They seemed quite happy even though they were no doubt 100 times more exhausted than I was--and seeing that was exactly why I went. Totally worth it.

The real fun was when I met my man in Italy and traveled around Rome and Venice.
Rome may be my new favorite city. The architectural beauty was something I always heard about and after 5 years of high school Latin, the ancient city was something else that I knew was a draw.



But there were other things I found fantastic:

1. The urban form
I'm an urban planner and the fact that everyone drove smart cars or walked was so amazing to see. This was what I thought was great about Venice too--nothing motorized off the water. It was a complete pedestrian city.
I love that this was an actual street with it's own name in Venice:


2. Attention to Detail
While Italy seems to be filled with gorgeous details like micro-mosaics (which are incredible), gilded ceilings, and massive sculptures, there were other little details I thought were so cool:


This isn't the best picture, but in Rome (and possibly elsewhere in Italy) they would actually take the time and resources to paint the scaffolding on buildings having work done...

My favorite detail was this:

The little girl on the sign has a bow in her hair.

I love Rome.

I'll have more to come on this trip. Such as, in Venice, I happened upon a yarn store and bought some gorgeous cotton/silk/viscose Italian yarn for my dress version of Nora Gaughan's Anais. I haven't made enough progress to share yet though.

Check out my flickr page for more photos of my trip.

1 comment:

Sallie said...

That picture of the bride and groom sitting in the colorful chairs is so beautiful! I want to have a wedding like that but I'm not sure how. Maybe I will find a planner on http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/event_planners.html who will know what to do. It is so beautiful! I love all the colors. Why don't you see weddings like that in the US as much, I wonder?